Monday, April 17, 2006

Vintage Soundtrack: "Windaria" OST + Bonus

Hi, peeps ! This time I wanted to upload for you the soundtrack to the 1986 anime film "Windaria", a.k.a. "Once upon a time". This music really takes me back. I must have seen this film when I was around 12 years old and I still remember how "shocked" I was when it was over: I had just seen an intense drama with an actual message... in animation ! Watching that film on my own one boring Sunday afternoon on TV is one of my earliest memories of realising that animation can be a means for narrating ANY story and that anime existed under many other guises than Giant Robot series...

"Windaria" tells the story of two pairs of young lovers who become embroiled in a war between two rival kingdoms. The action takes place in a fantasy world where haunted woods and legendary animals are commonplace, yet the issues dealt with in the story are very real and regrettably close to human nature. Topics including greed, loyalty, love, betrayal, etc are carefully balanced in this tragic tale of the consequences of our weaknesses. It is not an uplifting movie at all. You get to see the outcome of a senseless war in every level -from the ecological to the personal- but as harrowing as the script is, or as outdated as the animation may look, I recommend it. Don't be fooled. There are some harsh reviews on it around, but those are for the Americanized version of the movie. In fact, the same company that bought "Macross" and rewrote that series (turning it into "Robotech" once pasted to two other unrelated anime TV series), performed the same kind og "makeover" to "Windaria". The results were less than spectacular...

The soundtrack to the movie was composed by Satoshi Kadokura, whose other credits include the music to the Gundam F91 movie and the Wataru TV series. You can tell that Windaria is an anime from the mid-80's by listening to Kadokura's use of synths -typical of the period- turning some of the tracks into video-game sounding pieces of music. I enjoy a lot more the instrumental tracks with orchestra on them, such as track 1 -"Theme from Windaria"-, which sets from the start the tone for the whole movie. Other nice tracks are 6, 7, 10 & 12. You have here the original 14 tracks of the score released in 1986, plus 4 others that were released some years ago in a reissue of the soundtrack in a double CD package together with the OST of the OVA film "Birth". Tracks 4 & 14 are an IS & the ED song of the movie, sung by my girl Akino Arai. This would be Akino's first work in an animation project and actually "Yakusoku" would become the first single of her professional career. Her voice sounds a bit different from what you hear now, but of course this is the case for anybody that has been singing non-stop for the last 20 years ^_^.

Here you have the clip of the scene where the IS "Promise" is playing, courtesy of amyj17uk at YouTube:


Kadokura is still active as a composer. One of his recent projects was the soundtrack to the J-horror movie "Shikoku", which I also recommend in case you dig ghost stories à la "Ringu" or "The Grudge"...

Enjoy the album and leave your comments below !

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I've been trying to find that for ages! It was my first anime too and it left me in the exact state of "shock" as you! I know you don't like requests, but is there any chance you may upload another vintage soundtrack? Let's say... Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind for example! Anyway, many many thanks!

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and about the soundtrack, I think it's one of the best in general, not only about anime. Definitely on my favorites list! And very high as well.

1:53 AM  
Blogger AOI said...

I'm glad you liked the soundtrack, I'll post some Joe Hisaishi (Studio Ghibli's main composer) soon. I don't have Nausicaa's but having only recently seen the film (yeah, it's a shame... :-P) I'll try to get the soundtrack 'cause it's great. Keep visiting.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Hisaishi is amazing! I have the OST of "Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke" so post one of the rest. "Howl's Moving Castle" is great and I don't have it complete. If the whole soundtrack sounds like "Jinsei No Merry-Go-Round" then we're talking about a masterpiece!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friend, thanks so much! I have looked high and low for this disc. This was one of the first soundtracks that made a real impression on my back when I was a kid, durring the days of horrible 5th generation VHS bootlegs.

Live-Evil recently subbed the movie, so that we not longer have to endure the painful and irrelevant dub that is the only version available in the US.

And now you've hooked me up with the soundtrack! Seems like I'm set.

One note; there's a strange click sound at the beginning of every track. Do you know what that is? I'd love to find a higher bitrate version without that distortion, but of course I'm grateful for this! It'll get some serious iPod time.

11:10 PM  
Blogger AOI said...

Hi, Curtis, thanx so much for the comment & I'm glad you enjoy the soundtrack and let yourself be taken back by it as I do... ^_^

About the short click sound heard at the beginning of each track, yes, it's annoying :-S. The reason is that I ripped the CD using some obsolete freeware just before moving from Argentina (where the CD still is) to Switzerland. Telling you why I had to use that software and not my usual itunes for ripping would be too long of a story, but if I ever remember to, next time I'm back home I'll rip the CD again and replace the file on rapidshare (and I will leave a message about that to warn visitors of this blog, of course).

1:31 AM  
Blogger Simple Simon said...

Thankyou for the soundtrack. I really enjoy it.

Thanks again :)

12:28 AM  
Blogger Jeannie Lindley said...

The link to the soundtrack has expired and won't work any more. Could you please upload the soundtrack again? Thanks.

6:43 PM  
Blogger AOI said...

Done. Enjoy it. AOI

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is there anyone to upload the sound track again??? i just saw windaria and cried at it's heartbreaking message. i'm dying to get my hands on that soundtrack epscially the song that ends the movie oh please upload againz!! XDDDDD

2:55 AM  
Blogger Tori'Kano said...

"I must have seen this film when I was around 12 years old and I still remember how "shocked" I was when it was over: I had just seen an intense drama with an actual message... in animation"

The same i must say about me.

Please, can you upload it once again (it say Delete reason: file too old).

2:56 PM  
Blogger Tori'Kano said...

Here:

http://tenshi.ru/anime-ost/Windaria/OST/

:)

10:59 AM  
Blogger Craig Carrington said...

Thank you very much! Can you please post all of the "Birth" soundtrack songs that were included with this set as well? I'd really love to have the entire thing that was included with this collection to make it complete as I've been searching for it for years now. Thanks! ;)

11:04 AM  
Blogger Razpootin said...

Hello! Is it possible to made a request for "Birth" full Soundtrack !? If you got it ofcourse!
Just discovered Joe Hisaishis other works then in Ghibli movies!
/Rasmuz
Razpootinmsx@gmail.com

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home